By: Meghan Sheen
The way that we spend the first hour of our day correlates directly with the productivity of our entire day. AND what better way to start the day than getting a little bit sweaty! If you’ve never considered moving your sweat sessions into the beautiful space between resting and working, consider these points and give it a try!
1. ENHANCED METABOLISM! Grab that extra pastry, love! A recent study showed that those who chose to rise and grind burned almost 200 more calories over the next 14 hours.
2. PARTY PANTS What’s that? Happy hour at 5? Good thing you got that workout over with. Planning a morning workout will not only ensure your availability for evening activities, but it will also promise you the ability to be far more consistent with nothing to disrupt your routine.
3. Cut the Coffee Getting up and moving around is a healthier alternative to your caffeinated beverage of choice. 60 seconds of high intensity training can produce greater enhancement in cognitive function than 1 cup of java.
4. GOAL GETTERS RISE EARLIER Develop that self discipline and watch it spill over into other areas of your life.
5. BETTER WORKOUT PERFORMANCE Maybe it’s just me, but I have better concentration during my morning workouts. At the end of the day, we are easily distracted. Our minds are still processing the events of the day. When we begin our day with a clear head in the gym, we give ourselves the opportunity to have laser beam focus.
6. SAY BYE-BYE TO NEGATIVITY Who wants to sit around and be negative after an amazing workout? Not only will you walk into work glowing from endorphins, but you’ll be feeling accomplished. No time to gossip when you’re busy telling everyone about the sick new abs circuit you did that morning!
7. GUILT-LESS BINGING You woke up, you burned, like, 600 calories, and you’re sore. No need to feel bad about catching up on your favorite TV series.
8. PREPARATION STATION Few things feel as good as being 100% prepared. A morning workout will force you to prepare your things the night prior. And could you possibly even have time the night before to pack a lunch for the following day? Wow, this is really getting good.
9. INTENTION As with anything else in life, your intention defines the power of action taking place. When you rise in the morning and choose to immediately head to the gym, you are making a decision to better yourself. And when you make a decision to better yourself, you are actually whispering “I love you” into your own ear.
DON’T HAVE TIME TO GET A FULL BODY WORKOUT DONE BEFORE WORK? No problem! Below is a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout that can be done in as little as 25 minutes.
After warming up on the treadmill for 5 minutes at a moderate paced walk, increase the speed until the pace is so challenging that you would not be able to carry on a conversation with the person next to you. Not too hard, as you will need to hold this pace for 60 seconds. This is our working pace. After 60 seconds, lower the speed to something that feels like a brisk walk or maybe a jog. This is our recovery pace. We will hold our recovery pace just as long as we hold our working pace, 60 whole seconds. Continue repeating the pattern until you have completed ten full sets, One Sprint - One Recovery. In 25 minutes you’ve burned just as many calories as you would doing a full hour of steady state cardio!
As your endurance increases, you can increase the speed of your working pace - and decrease the amount of time spent in recovery. Don’t be afraid to push yourself!
Get up, get movin’, and watch the world around you match your energy!